Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Response: To Heaven and Bach again!

In the performance Blythe does darken lower and brighten higher as you mentioned however, I'm not sure I would have noticed if you had not mentioned it. It's definitely more noticeable in the beginning of the aria. I think she sings more evenly toward the end which doesn't stand out as much as it did in the beginning of the performance. I don't think she needs to brighten/darken at all...her voice is beautiful as is and singing evenly throughout would be much preferred.

On the topic of authentic communication through song, I think that the only way this is truly achieved is by being completely authentic people. The further we get from acknowledging and accepting who we are, the harder it is to connect to the musc we in an authentic way, thereby inhibiting true connection and communication with our audience.  It's my opinion that this starts way before we approach the stage and has everything to do with our everyday interactions with other people.  I've found that some of the most convincing musical communicators are also some of the most 'real' people I've met. This may go without saying but, none of this can be achieved if your knowledge of the score, the music, composer, your voice, etc. is not worked out before the performance.  You can't be the real 'you' if you're 'thinking' through all that other stuff while on the performance stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment